Sunday, April 17, 2005

Nunc scio quid sit amor....

Today has been a day of self-discovery. Pretty much all day, I have been plauged by a single, heartwrenching realization. Some of you near and dear to me may have seen this coming from a long way off, but I have finally admitted it to myself, after a massive period of denial.

Nearly two years ago, I bought "How the West Was Won", the live album from Led Zeppelin, a very obvious favorite band of mine (other than Steve Smith, who doesn't like Led Zeppelin? Fools, that's who). I put it in my car, cranked it up, I heard John Bonham click his high-hat four times and then the opening notes of "Immigrant Song" took the back of my fucking head off. My life was changed. I had offically heard the greatest thing that I had ever heard. Money? Riches? Women? I no longer cared for these things. All I wanted was 3 sweaty Englishmen and a pretty Welshman playing their sweet songs in my ear.

But, here is the part that I have come to regret: After hearing what music sounds like in the promised land of Live Led Zeppelin, their previously thunderous catalog has become a watered down version of their live work. With the advent of iTunes and the iPod, this problem becomes one of "Why would I listen to the recorded version of Over the hills and far away when I can listen to the live version. HOW?

This deeply saddens me. Since my mother bought me Led Zeppelin I when I was ten (WHAT A COOL MOM!), I have pledged fealty to the crunchy, load roar of what I have considered the greatest Rock 'n' Roll band ever to grace the face of the planet in all of their forms. After much soul searching, I don't know if I can do this anymore.

When people ask "Chris, I want to get some Led Zeppelin. What should I start out with?" I won't be able to say "Anything, it's all good. I can't choose," since I know that How The West Was Won is the greatest set of soundwaves ever committed to a commercial recording. I will have to say "It's all pretty good, but How The West Was Won is by far the best material of theirs you can get." I feel as if I have betrayed so many, but this is something that I cannot deny.

I'm sorry mother....I have failed you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home