Wednesday, June 01, 2005

"In umbra, igitur, pugnabimus!"

I have achieved two things recently.

One, I have received (I hope) the first degree of my post-secondary education from the prestigious (in Alberta) University of Alberta. My parents are very proud. I don't actually pick up my parchment until 13 June. Do I now have a library worth of useful information racked up in my brain? No. Do I have tomes of insightful arguments lined up and ready to go for any casual discussion on a range of political, social and scientific topics? Certainly not, no. I am I now prepared to take on a particular line of work? Again, I must answer in the negative. However, I have learned a great deal about critical thinking and how to properly empower yourself with knowledge. University is not about collecting the required number of credits, declaring victory and reaping the supposed financial benefits of higher education. As has been put best by the Associate Dean of my own faculty, "It is about revolutionizing your mind." I have pursued my line of education (as long as I knew I was actually pursing one) thus far for no real purpose other than pursue knowledge. I feel that combined with my reasonably illustrious career (at least in terms of duration of time relative to other officers and employees) in our local student organization, I have snagged a unique educational experience so far. I have not only learned about postmodernism, the electoral system in Sweden, the solar system, Latin (ahem) and a litany of other popular and unpopular subjects, but I have learned a great deal about working relationships, budgetary matters, how to deal with people in power, etc, etc. Most of all, though, I'm proud of who I am now relative to who I was coming into university. Hopefully, when years from now when I write a post detailing what I have learned from my second phase of my education, I will say the same thing.

Second, I filled up my iPod. It wasn't that big, only 15GB, but I own nearly all the music on it. Does that make me a consumerist sucker in the modern information age? Yes, it probably does. But I like owning CD's (to be honest, I just like having a physically large music collection) and I like supporting artists who, even though they still don't see much from the sales of their CD's, need to 'move units'. Bands like Fugazi, for instance, deserve every penny that they get. I will even go so far as to downloading their music and then buying it afterward, whether I like it or not. In fact, I have a number of CD's that I have never listened to because I bought them after I downloaded them and since I was happy with the quality of the download, I never ripped it onto my computer. I'm gonna stop now because I don't want to turn this into a big rant on downloading and consumer ethics. This is not because I don't want to get into it, but I simply won't make the mistake that my opinion matters on this topic to anyone that I would imagine reads this tripe-filled blog of mine.

So a big 'tu tibi futuendave es' to everyone who said I couldn't do either of those two things over the years. Especially my elementary and Jr. High school teachers.

Today's title is something I have stolen from my Latin text book in honour of Frank Miller's '300', which I made a point of purchasing today. Yes, it is a comic book, but it is an excellent comic book that draws from a compelling battle in ancient history. I suggest you pick it up as soon as you can. I don't think the story of the 300 Spartan Guards can be told any other way that in graphic form.

Speaking of reading, I haven't been updating my book list. That is because I have been reading everything except what is on my book list. But I have been reading, don't worry. Huh. I could have sworn I just heard my girlfriend snicker.

Here is today's question:
The top of a particularly famous landmark east of New York but west of Angkor is six inches closer to the bank of a famous river at a particular time of the year. Which landmark is it? (15 Points)

I'd quickly like to say hello to any new readers I may have acquired that I haven't and will most likely never meet.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

sammers: Are comic books really something that you 'read'? Plus, you read way more than I do.


~inpsired: And I of you. With distinction, no less. Congratulations! On to Law School for you! Double congratulations!

Friday, June 03, 2005 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger andy grabia said...

The novelization by Stephen Pressfield is vastly superior to Miller's work. Frankly (ha! get it?) I thought 300 sucked. It is not one of Miller's finest.

And it is not a comic book. It is a graphic novel. Miller himself was very conscious in making the book look totally different from the traditional comic book.

I have a great book which collects a series of interviews with Miller and Wil Eisner. A must read for any true nerd, which I see you are clearly becoming. Welcome to the Dark Side.


http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553580531/qid=1117821221/sr=8-7/ref=pd_ka_2/103-7392251-3639810?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Friday, June 03, 2005 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Here's an SAT question:
'Graphic Novel' is to 'Comic Book' as 'Action Figure' is to 'Doll'.

To me it looks just like any page of any of the Sin City books, except it's in colour. I'm surprised you didn't like it, is so derivative from his best known work. It's not his best work, no, but I didn't think it sucked. It's still pretty awesome. Especially the last 4 pages or so. I was, however, a little dissapointed that Miller didn't use the graphic form to contrast the two armies a little bit more. Then again, I suppose the story really isn't about the armies, is it?

I've read a little bit of that Eisner/Miller book, actually. I think I might pick it up. And then, you know, not read it because apparently I can't read anymore.

I'm flattered that you don't think I'm already a nerd. Hell, maybe I'm not.

Friday, June 03, 2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger andy grabia said...

My point was that everyone pales in comparison to my nerdiness.

And that was a SAT answer, not question.

Step it up, son!

Frankly, all of Miller's work besides Daredevil and Batman is meh. Speaking of which, new Jim Lee and Miller Batman series this summer. Heyaaaaahhhhh!!! Hewhaaaaaat? Hoookaaaayyyy.
Skeeet skeeeeet skeeeet.

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You don't know nerd until you see a roommate bounding with expressive joy because they came 3rd out of 70 in a Magic Card tournament that they travelled out of town to play in. Your nerdiness pales in comparison to everyone but at least two of my roommates.

Many of the 'Sin City' books are wet dreams of subject theory, especially the first one.

Jim Lee is overrated.

"Cooollldblooodeeddd."

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger Anonymotron said...

"my reasonably illustrious career"

Career:
"A path or course, as of the sun through the heavens."

"how to deal with people in power"

If you define 'power' very narrowly.

"a big rant on downloading and consumer ethics"

Lordy. They give you a BA, and the next thing you know you, you start having ethics. I'll bet you think eating delicious baby animals is wrong too, eh? It just never ends with you hippies.

You know I'm kidding, darling. Congratulations on the degree.

Monday, June 06, 2005 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Anony,

I actually wasn't refering to that particular unit, but your point is well taken.

I'm not a hippie. I litter.

Monday, June 06, 2005 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Usman Awais said...

Finance Companies in UAE
Looking For Investors in UAE
Investment Companies in UAE
Finance Companies in Dubai
Asset Management Companies in UAE

Monday, July 05, 2021 2:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home