Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Niceterium: Ne Peccent

I would like to give it up to Dr. Huxtable for tagging me (and subsequently allowing me to embarrass myself) and thus giving me something to write about. I've added a new category that I expect those who I tag to continue.

Number of books that I own:
Honestly, I don't own that many books. I have 70 in my room. The rest are in my garage or at my parent'’s place. When I moved from my parents house I left almost anything that wasn't a textbook. So what I have now are books that I have bought since I moved. Since the U of A library is so good, nearly every book that I have read recreationally has been taken from there and consequently I don't buy a lot of books. However, I would like nothing more than to one day have a solid wall of books in my home.

Books that mean a lot to me:
The Rommel Papers by Erwin Rommel
Allan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard
Sin City (Collection) by Frank Miller
The Oxford Dictionary of Political Quotations by Antony Jay
Why Nations Go To War by John G. Stoessinger
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Island of Lost Maps by Miles Harvey
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sednak
The Shameful Life of Salvador Dali by Ian Gibson
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien

While I don'’t want to speak on each and every book, I think it is worth mentioning that "The Rommel Papers" is an incredible collection of diary entries from one of the foremost military minds in history. The objectivity he approached documenting his days with is above and beyond what you would expect from any high-ranking military officer, let alone a high ranking member of the German army during the Second World War. That book in particular would be a desert island book for sure.

Books I have recently read:
Real Stuff by Dennis P. Eichhorn
The Prince by Nicholo Machiavelli
The Pilgrim Hawk by Glenway Wescott
The Ultimates (Vol. 1) by Mark Millar

Books in the Queue:
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggars
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Dark Age Ahead by Jane Jacobs

I hereby tag:
Sam
Mikey
Janet
Dan
Anna


Today's Question:
According to generally accepted theories regarding time travel, if you are on the beaches of Normandy at 6AM on 6 January, 2005, and you time-traveled to the same position at 6AM on 6 June, 1944, what event would you very briefly be witness to? (25 Points)

12 Comments:

Blogger daveberta said...

It was the 14th Dalai Lama's 9th Birthday.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel Kaszor said...

What is this tagging you speak of? I don't read any other hack blogs.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:52:00 PM  
Blogger Anonymotron said...

That would depend which beach of Normandy on which you were standing (Omaha, Juno, etc.). The initial landing times of Allied troops (excepting paratroopers, who arrived as early as midnight) varied from 6 AM to about 8:30 AM, depending on the tides at each particular beach.

I'm unsure as to the significance of "very briefly." Do you mean to imply that the historically ignorant time traveller would be immediately shelled into oblivion?

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger daveberta said...

maybe someone tripped?

Thursday, June 09, 2005 9:38:00 PM  
Blogger Prus said...

uh Anonymotron.....they are all part of the same beach and the supposed differences only in the names given by the allies.

Having stood there it's amazing to see how small an area the invasion took place over.

Monday, June 13, 2005 7:24:00 PM  
Blogger Anonymotron said...

Ross:

Right! But Chris is going to use the plural "if you are on the beaches of Normandy" [emphasis added], then I'm going to assume he meant the five beaches, Omaha, Utah, Juno Sword, and Gold, that were so named by the Allies, especially given the date he specified.

Parts of the coast of, say, Cali-forn-I-A have miles upon miles of unbroken beaches, with different segments given different names. Where does one beach end and another begin? And how many angels can dance on your head?

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm going to level with you guys. The answer to that question has absolutely nothing to do with World War II.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:44:00 AM  
Blogger Anonymotron said...

Oh. I fucking hate trick questions.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It's not a trick question. The answer is in the question.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger daveberta said...

I don't get it.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:25:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey Dinosaur!

Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger daveberta said...

Que?

Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home